Lifesteps is a 12-week weight management program offered twice each year by Mercy Iowa City. Meetings are held in the hospital’s Community Relations conference room, located in Mercy North. The next class begins Monday, March 5, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Lifesteps is taught by a registered dietitian and exercise physiologist. The program combines nutrition, physical activity, and group support. Weekly topics are as follows:
- Week 1 Monitoring Food Intake: Learn how to keep a food and activity record
- Week 2 Physical Activity: Make a plan for increasing their physical activity
- Week 3 Guide to Daily Food Choices: Make a plan to get the recommended number of servings from the five food groups in the daily food guide pyramid
- Week 4 Serving Sizes: Learn how to weigh and measure foods
- Week 5 The Calorie Connection: Learn where calories fit in the weight management picture and learn how to cut calories
- Week 6 Putting It All Together: Learn about changes you can make in eating and physical activity
- Week 7 Eating Styles: Identify eating styles that lead to overeating
- Week 8 Managing Lapses: Learn to deal with environment and social events
- Week 9 Managing Lapses: Identify how feelings affect eating behavior
- Week 10 Managing Lapses: Make a plan for eating out
- Week 11 Staying Active: Develop a physical activity program
- Week 12 Maintenance: Develop a plan for maintaining behavior changes
Class participants will have their weight, blood pressure and body mass index monitored. One-on-one appointments with a dietitian and exercise physiologist will be included as part of the program. The entire cost is $250.
To register online, click here
You can also call Mercy On Call, 358-2767 or 1-800-358-2767, for more information.