Lifesteps is a 12-week weight management program offered twice each year.
Lifesteps is taught by a registered dietitian and exercise physiologist. The program combines nutrition, physical activity, and group support. Weekly topics are as follows:
- Week 1 Monitoring Food Intake: Learn how to keep a food and activity record
- Week 2 Physical Activity: Make a plan for increasing their physical activity
- Week 3 Guide to Daily Food Choices: Make a plan to get the recommended number of servings from the five food groups in the daily food guide pyramid
- Week 4 Serving Sizes: Learn how to weigh and measure foods
- Week 5 The Calorie Connection: Learn where calories fit in the weight management picture and learn how to cut calories
- Week 6 Putting It All Together: Learn about changes you can make in eating and physical activity
- Week 7 Eating Styles: Identify eating styles that lead to overeating
- Week 8 Managing Lapses: Learn to deal with environment and social events
- Week 9 Managing Lapses: Identify how feelings affect eating behavior
- Week 10 Managing Lapses: Make a plan for eating out
- Week 11 Staying Active: Develop a physical activity program
- Week 12 Maintenance: Develop a plan for maintaining behavior changes
Class participants will have their weight, blood pressure and body mass index monitored. One-on-one appointments with a dietitian and exercise physiologist will be included as part of the program. The cost is $250.
Contact Mercy On Call, 358-2767 or 1-800-358-2767, for more information.