Mercy's Respiratory Care Department is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular Pulmonary Rehabilitation. The department provides a variety of diagnostic, therapeutic, and educational services to both inpatients and outpatients. The department is located in Mercy's Heart and Vascular Center on the first floor and works closely with the heart and vascular staff. Registered respiratory therapists and certified respiratory therapists work under the direction of a medical director to provide this range of services.
Diagnostic services include:
- pulmonary function testing: spirometry, body plethysmography, diffusion capacity, arterial blood gas analysis
- high altitude arterial blood gas simulation
- cardiopulmonary exercise testing
- exercise laryngoscopy
- pulmonary stress testing
- conventional video bronchoscopy
- endobronchial ultrasound with transbronchial needle biopsy
- auto CPAP analysis
- Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy (ENB) | see video
- Placement of fiducial markers for stereotactic radiation
Therapeutic services include:
- Oxygen therapy
- Mechanical ventilatory support and artificial airway support
- Postural drainage and chest physiotherapy
- Administration of aerosol medications
- Bronchopulmonary hygiene therapy
The department also provides a pulmonary rehabilitation program for people with chronic lung disease such as bronchitis, emphysema, asthma, and pulmonary fibrosis. Participants meet twice a week for eight weeks and receive education, breathing training, and exercise. The program involves health care professionals from pharmacy, dietary, occupational therapy, social work, and infection control.
The rehab program also offers a maintenance phase of exercise three times per week.
Breath of Fresh Air is a monthly support group offered by Mercy for people living with chronic lung disease. It meets on the first Monday of each month at 2 or 7 p.m., except during January, February, and September. For upcoming meetings and topics, visit Mercy's Support Group page.
If you would like a nurse to help you make an appointment with a Mercy doctor, call Mercy On Call at 358-2767 or 800-358-2767, or visit www.findamercydoctor.com.