At Mercy, volunteers play an important role in providing personal attention to patients. Many volunteer opportunities are available at Mercy Hospital. Some involve patient and public contact, while others are "behind the scenes."
Anyone over the age of 14 can apply to be a volunteer. All applicants are interviewed by the Volunteer Services Manager. Volunteers are placed according to their interests and qualifications, as well as the needs of the hospital. All volunteers receive a general orientation to the hospital and specific training in their service area. A summer youth volunteer program welcomes teens ages 14 to 18.
- Baby caps and booties: Knit or crochet baby caps for babies born at Mercy; booties are sold in the Mercy Gift Shop. Yarn and instructions are provided.
- Bridge Marathon: Play bridge while raising money for the Mercy Guild.
- Bulk Mailings: Label and stuff envelopes for large mailing projects.
- Clerical: Provide support by performing clerical tasks such as answering phones and photocopying.
- Craft Group: Meet regularly from August to October to craft the Angel of Mercy Christmas ornament.
- Emergency Care Unit Assist staff and provide service to patients and families in the ECU
- Eucharistic Minister
- Flower Cart: Deliver flowers to patient rooms.
- Gift Shop: Staff the Gift Shop which is open to Mercy visitors and patients.
- Guest Lodging: Greet, register, and check out family members using Mercy's overnight lodging service.
- Helping Hands: Assist the nursing staff by filling water pitchers, visiting with patients, and assisting with personal tasks.
- Information Desk: Staff the information desk in the main lobby. Direct patients and visitors, and answer phones.
- Lifeline Clerical: Assist with payment processing and other clerical duties
- Lifeline Installers: Install Lifeline units in subscribers' homes and teach new subscribers how to use them.
- Mail Delivery: Sort and deliver patient mail.
- Patient Escort: Escort patients within the hospital and assist with admissions and dismissals
- Pet Therapy: Must have registered therapy dog.
- Radiology Waiting: Greet patients, stock dressing rooms, and monitor waiting area.
- SHIIP Counselors: After training by the Senior Health Insurance Information Program, help seniors with their Medicare bills and insurance payment problems.
- Surgical Outpatient Care Unit: Assist nursing staff and provide service to patients and families in the SOPCU.
- Surgical Outpatient Waiting Desk: Assist families waiting for patients.
- Vending: Stock the hospital's beverage, chip, and candy machines.
To print off a copy of the volunteer application, click here.
If you wish to set up a meeting to discuss volunteer opportunities at Mercy, call our Volunteer Office at 339-3659.