Chaplains, volunteers meet patients' spiritual needs view Iowa City Press-Citizen story
Pastoral Care is an integral part of Catholic health care. Mercy offers the spiritual services of prayer, sacraments, a listening presence, and assistance in dealing with the emotions and questions that come with sickness.
Mercy’s experienced staff chaplains:
- Offer sacraments and lead Christian prayer services
- Provide spiritual care for patients and staff regardless of faith or religious tradition
- Assess the spiritual and religious needs of inpatients and their families in emergency situations, by request or referral, and for all other inpatients in a timely manner
- Notify a patient’s own pastor or faith community upon request
- Assist patients, upon request, with information about or development and execution of advance directives
- Available to speak with patients about organ and tissue donation
If, at the time of admission, you registered your religious affiliation and church name, this information will be available for your priest, minister, or rabbi when he/she comes to visit.
Mercy's Chapel is available to all patients, visitors, and staff for prayer and solitude. It is located on the first floor and is open from 6 a.m. to 12 midnight. Ecumenical Prayer services are held at noon on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Catholic Mass is celebrated on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m., and Sundays at 11:30 a.m. Times vary on holidays. Chapel worship services may be viewed in patient rooms on channel 5.
A lending library is available in Mercy’s Pastoral Care office, located just off the main lobby. It includes Bibles in various languages and versions (including audiotape), the Hebrew Scriptures, The Quran, and religious music CD’s. Phone: 319-339-3556.
Organ and Tissue Donation
Organ and tissue donation can save or improve the quality of life for people who suffer from organ failure, bone defects, burns, or blindness. This is a very personal choice and certified designated requestors along with pastoral care are available 24 hours to assist in the event that such a decision needs to be made. Mercy Hospital maintains a close relationship with the Iowa Donor Network.
For more information please contact any member of the nursing or pastoral care staff.